Amongst the mountains.A Welsh artist comes home.

    Artist Elfyn Lewis prefers trowels and Squeegees to paintbrushes and palette knives.
    Originally from Porthmadog, he's settled in Cardiff, created cover images for Catatonia CDs and won the National Eisteddfod's top art prize.
    Now his work is coming back to his home area with an exhibition in the tiny village gallery at Croesor, while another show of his paintings has opened at Cardiff's Oriel Canfas.
    "I feel I am in the zone right now," said Elfyn, whose paintings at Oriel Caffi Croesor are inspired by the landscape and people of his childhood.
    "I'm so glad they asked me to exhibit there," he said. "Local people might know I'm an artist, but not have seen my work before."
    The exhibition title is Bylchau (Spaces), though Elfyn says there's no particular theme to this group of paintings.

    "It's more about how I paint," he said. "My work is abstract, although people always have a tendency to read something in to pictures, to make sense of what they're seeing.
    "There is an element of landscape in them, but I want to take individuals to somewhere else: an experience which is memorable.
    "I use Squeegees, trowels, even cassette tapes to drag the paint down, top to bottom or right to left to create different patterns and marks."
    Elfyn's 25-year career has won him many accolades, including the gold medal for fine art at last year's National Eisteddfod in Bala. This is despite being colour blind, or having 'dyslexia of tones', as he describes it.

     "I confuse greens and browns, reds and oranges or purples and blues," he explained. "I see colours fine, they just might not be the same colours others see."
    But this only pushes him to be more creative and confident in his own personal sense of colour.
    "When people are said to have a disability, that's the limitations others are placing on them, or that they might be placing on themselves," he said.
    "I hate it when, say, children are pigeon-holed about their ability. I just want them to enjoy playing with paint."
    Bylchau is at Oriel Caffi Croesor, Penrhyndeudraeth, from 13 June to 18 July. Gestiana is at Oriel Canfas, Cardiff, until 3 July. 

Post Title

Amongst the mountains.A Welsh artist comes home.


Post URL

https://national-grid-news.blogspot.com/2010/06/amongst-mountainsa-welsh-artist-comes.html


Visit National-grid-news for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive