Prolific new router eyes Gary Gibson's record!

    Barry'the Hoover'Clarke.Coming to a backwater near you!


    Barry Clarke is hardly a household name to most UK climbers. However,this unknown activist is tearing through the climbing areas-in particular the unexploited backwaters- like a whirling dervish !
    Since 2002 he has put up 1324 new routes,mostly climbing solo.Barry's penchant is for short routes in lower and middle grades on crags where he can fill the gaps and exploit lines which the original developers may have considered too inconsequential to consider.
    When Barry was asked if he was going for a climbing record he said..."We were talking about 'going for a record' in the hut last night. Folk thought I was trying to catch Gary Gibson up... So we did the Maths! Since 2002 I've done 500 new routes in the Lake District and  560 on Yorkshire Limestone and my tally for North Wales is now 264.......total 1324!

    Gary Gibson I believe, is on 3560! So I'll never make it! But I have just bought the new Ogwen Guidebook !
    The prolific veteran shows no signs of ending his new routing marathon though,explaining..
    like to think all these routes are my farewell gift to climbing after 47 years! But maybe I'm just a climbing hoover sweeping up the crumbs that proper climbers leave behind! Who knows--but I'm having a ball!"

Post Title

Prolific new router eyes Gary Gibson's record!


Post URL

https://national-grid-news.blogspot.com/2010/06/prolific-new-router-eyes-gary-gibson.html


Visit National-grid-news for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive